[fruityloops] Re: warning to warez users (was YEAAAHHH!!!!!)

  • From: Andrew Ebling <andyebling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 08 Oct 2002 09:15:31 +0000

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 00:58, AllenSpins@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I have a purchased copy, but tell me this-- who has a purchased copy of
> windows??

I bought my copy of XP, despite being a Linux/open source zealot.  All
the content and software on my PC is 100% legit.  I have never used
napster or any other P2P service.

The TCPA/Palladium/DRM non-sense will be inflicted on us all because of
people who steal content and software because they can get away with

For more info see:

Please be aware that preliminary support for this is already in some
laptops.  Within a couple of years it will have infested virtually all
PC hardware and software.

It will be a particular blow to computer musicians who will suddenly
find they cannot even do legitimate things like rip the audio CDs they
created back to disk.  Imagine the frustration of not being able to do
something legitimate that you have done for years, simply because your
PC wrongly decides "you aren't allowed to do that".

It could also potentially destroy the whole open-source initiative,
which will remove the pressure on Microsoft to clean up their act and
produce innovative, good quality, good value, stable software.  That
means quality will go down and prices will go up.  I'd argue that the
marginal improvement in the quality of MS software seen in recent years
has been largely due to pressure from Linux and other open source

I do apologise for this slightly off-topic rant/diversion, but it is
something that will affect us all ultimately and is therefore something
we should all be aware of and concerned about.

All the warez/P2P users out there might think they have "got away with
it".  The unfortunate reality is that they have already spoiled it for