[fruityloops] sharing the soundcard between applications

  • From: Andrew Ebling <aebling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 07 Feb 2002 09:06:44 +0000

Ok, here is another problem for y'all:

Often when I am doing music, I need to be able to access the same audio
device from several applications.  For example:

- I'm writing a song in fruityloops
- I need to use beatslicer, so I open it up (either via the start menu
or from fruityslicer) do my editing, but I can't play anything back in
beatslicer because fruityloops "has hold" of the soundcard.
- I then decide to edit a sample that I am using in my preferred wave
editor (CoolEdit96), again I can't playback because fruityloops has hold
of the sound card.

I seen an application called VAC that looks like it could solve this
problem:

http://spider.nrcde.ru/music/software/eng/vac.html

(It is also handy for recording the output of softsynths/VSTis back to
disk, although I guess you can already do this in fruity to some extent)

Do I really need to fork out for this software, is there a simpler
solution?  How do other people get round this problem.

Previously I had a sound card that had 8 devices (for streaming 8
channels into one), so I could just assign each application a device and
everything would play nicely together.  Now I have a more basic sound
card and need to get round the limitation of only having one device.
--
best regards,

Andy