[fruityloops] Re: new soundcard?

  • From: "Sinatra Y2k" <sinatra_y2k@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 12:43:55 -0700

> You probably won't notice an awful lot of difference in quality unless you
> have very revealing monitoring system.
> _HOWEVER_
> The latency you can get with the 2496 should be a lot lower than with the
> Live!

Latency is definitely a big issue for me ... I don't have a particularly
revealing montioring system (Alesis Montior 1's with a Samson Servo 120) but
also I wonder whether I might notice an improvement in the quality of
softsynths, and effects plug-ins generally - shouldn't they be able to
function at a higher resolution?  Shouldn't I be able to render the *.wavs
at a higher resolution?  Or when we talk about sound quality (insofar as the
soundcard is concerned), are we really only talking about recording external
stuff, and the A/D conversion (and therefore stuff that starts and stays
digital would not be tangibly improved).

> Bare in mind that the 2496 has no on-board MIDI synth.  That isn't an
issue
> for me, but it might be for some people.  You _might_ be able to keep the
> Live! in there as well (although I have heard of people having problems
> getting both the Live! and the 2496 to play nice in the same system).

This shouldn't affect my MIDI controller, though, should it?  I haven't been
using MIDI-proper, or soundfonts or anything like that - just my knob box,
and my shiny new Oxygen-8 (which is USB anyways, so it should be okay .. i
think?!)

Hmmm .. Thanks for the breakdown, it was a big help..

Take care ..