[fruityloops] Re: midi keyboard problem...

  • From: "Andy Ebling" <andyebling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 21:48:00 +0100

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the list!

> Hi... my name is Joe, and I am new the fruityloops and sequencing world.
I'm
> a classical pianist and drummer who is looking to make some techno
> recordings.  However, I'm encountering some problems along the way.  I
have a Yahama
> keyboard hooked up (via MIDI) to my computer, and everything works great
EXCEPT
> that when I press a key down on the keyboard there is a split second
delay,
> which makes things TERRIBLE when recording live.

The problem you are experiencing is a common one - called latency.

In fruityloops if you go to the Options menu and select "Audio Options", you
should see a slider which sets the size of the sound buffer.  If the buffer
is large, your system can cope with more FX and instruments before things
start going pear shaped, however latency is high.  With a small buffer,
latency is lower, but you system will run out of steam more quickly.  So its
a case of getting a good balance.  If your sound card has ASIO drivers, use
these to get lower latency settings.

Your sound card and sound card drivers can make a big difference to the
latency as well.  A good sound card, designed for music making from the
ground up (rather than gaming and a bit of wannabe music making), is the
M-Audio Audiophile 2496.  If you have a standard consumer card (like a
soundblaster live or audigy), then this is part of the problem.  There are
various tricks you can use to improve matters when using a standard consumer
card, but you'll most likely need to change the card eventually.anyway.

hope that helps,

Andy