[fruityloops] Re: map multiple channels to keyboard

  • From: Andrew Ebling <andyebling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 28 Nov 2002 12:02:28 +0000

Hi James and welcome to the list!

On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 11:44, James Cooper wrote:

> Ideally, I'd like to build a drum kit with say, 8 sounds, each in a
> separate channel.  and then map those to my oxygen so I can record a
> drum pattern (ie. each of the 8 channels would be mapped to a key on
> the oxygen).
> Is this possible?  If not, how do you guys typically program drums?
> just using the step sequencer one channel at a time?  that's what I've
> been doing so far, but sometimes it's a lot easier to just bang out a
> drum line with all the sounds at once (especially for breakbeats).

There are basically two ways to go about this:

i) register drumsynth live (an add-on which comes as a demo inside
fruity) and use it to do all your drum sounds.  The default sounds are
pretty boring but you can tweak them to sound pretty cool.  This
basically gives you all the drums on one channel to play on your

ii) use lots of sampler channels but link them all to one layer channel,
then set the keyboard range for each of the sampler channels to a single
note (each one asigned to a different note).

Sometimes I do the opposite: link lots of layers to a single drum synth
live channel to split it into lots of different channels, depending on
the way I'm working.

hope that helps,