[fruityloops] Re: introduction

  • From: "Andy Ebling" <andyebling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 12:08:10 -0000

> of course, i have a pair of quested F11 active monitors at the studio,
> but have the benefit of sunday at home with a web connection to ask you
> those questions :)

> it's just that the first hours i worked with FL i thought the db meters
> act a bit weird with those FX channels, but it's just a different

Umm... I'm not sure.  I think the meters in the FX window are just intended
as rough guides, rather than accurate meters.  If you want a more accurate
meter, you can insert a Fruity dB Meter into the last FX slot of each
channel.  If you prefer a more traditional approach, I recommend the free
Vintage Meter which you can download from http://www.pspaudioware.com.

> ok, yes i think i know sth about compression (basic), but don't know
> really for what situation it should be applyed.
> as i got the impression as FL has a weaker 'dry' signal than eg logic?
> is the master level at 100% at -3db or sth?

I think so.  For a start, fruity plays all channels at 70% into each FX
channel and then I think the master is set at 70% too.  Many people
incorrectly think that there is something wrong with the fruityloops
engine - thinking its not to good with the treble... but in reality it just
takes a slightly unusual approach with gain structure, giving a slightly low
output, so the frequency response of their ears plays tricks on them!

I too came to fruityloops from Logic - although Logic is a nice app, I just
found I wasn't being productive with it.  I got the feeling that it was a
tool that was good for notating ideas that you already had in your head, but
wasn't so conducive to helping you have the ideas as you go along.  In other
words, I felt I needed to have most of a track thought out before I could
get very far in Logic.  I find fruityloops almost the opposite extreme - I
load up a VSTi, and play with some presets and come up with a riff by
accident.  Before I know it, I've recorded it, figured out a nice beat and
bass line and within an hour or so of sitting down, a track is taking shape

Originally I bought fruityloops thinking it would make a nice tool to make
loops to use within logic, maybe get a bit of inspiration going.  A day or
so after I registered it, I realised it was good for making entire tracks
and I've hardly used logic since.  I hope you enjoy using it and find it as
much of a revelation as I did!