[fruityloops] Re: introduction

  • From: luc gross <lu2c@xxxxxxx>
  • To: fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 12:47:21 +0100

Andy Ebling wrote:

>>thx for reply andy,
>>

>Hey no problem!
>

>>as for how to organize patterns in playlist i still find it difficult to
>>keep overview of the structure.
>>

>Did you rename your patterns to reflect their contents?  Right click on the
>pattern name in the play list to do this.  Sorry, I don't mean to patronise
>you by saying this, but quite a lot of people upload live loops with none of
>the patterns named.  I don't know if this is just laziness or they genuienly
>don't know that the feature is there.

yes, i am just figuring my way out.

>Remember patterns don't have to contain any data; sometimes I rename blank
>patterns to create sections in the list of patters.  For example, I might
>have Pattern 1 renamed as "==drums==", then use patterns 2 to 10 to store
>drum patterns, then name pattern 11 with a single space (so it looks empty
>and creates a break), then name pattern 12 as "==bass==", then use patterns
>13 to 20 to store bass patterns etc.
>
>Also bear in mind that the next version of fruityloops will have markers
>that you can place in the black bar number area along the top of the
>playlist.  This should really help with keeping track of the time based
>structure of the song.
>

>>maybe good to use piano rolls only?
>>

>I think its a good idea only to use either the piano roll or the step
>sequencer within a single pattern, but its completely up to you; whatever
>you feel happy working with.
>

>>so 16bit is the max choice with FL?
>>

>I think it depends on the windows codecs you have installed but I'm not
>sure, can any one else elabourate?
>

>>another question,
>>when mixing at home or with headphones , do you rely on db meters?
>>

>Well its a good idea to make sure that there is a good level in each of the
>FX channels you are using, so dB meters are good for that.  Otherwise its a
>case of using your ears.  I've said this before, but I'll say it again for
>the benefit of new members; I strongly recommend that you don't attempt to
>mix your track whilst monitoring using headphones, even a really expensive
>pair.  Sure, headphones are good for those late night sessions putting a
>track together, but for the mixing session (which should be done when the
>track is complete) you need to work on speakers, preferably studio monitors.
>If you mix on headphones, the mix will only sound good in those headphones
>and will completely fall apart elsewhere.  You are also a lot more likely to
>make serrious balancing errors - over completely doing the bass for example.
>Yes studio monitors are expensive, but like a good quality sound card (i.e.
>not soundblasters!), they are an essential investment if you are serious
>about making music on your computer

of course, i have a pair of quested F11 active monitors at the studio,
but have the benefit of sunday at home with a web connection to ask you
those questions :)
it's just that the first hours i worked with FL i thought the db meters
act a bit weird with those FX channels, but it's just a different approach.

>>and maybe more general, how do you apply compression, during the process
>>for single sounds or at the finish?
>>

>Compression is one of the harder effects to understand and use effectively,
>but it is also one of the most important.  In fact I'd go as far as to say
>it was the next most important effect after EQ.
>
>I recommend you take a look at the online tutorials about compression at
>compturemusic.co.uk, google.com should throw up a couple of good links on
>the subject too.
>
>Generally speaking, you are better off compressing individual parts in
>moderation and as required, but leaving the whole mix un-compressed if you
>are going to get the track mastered or a bit of light, multiband compression
>if you are attempting to do some mastering yourself.  Fruityloops does not
>come with a multiband compressor (a serious oversight in my opinion), but
>there are many available as VST plugins on the net, either as commercial or

ok, yes i think i know sth about compression (basic), but don't know
really for what situation it should be applyed.
as i got the impression as FL has a weaker 'dry' signal than eg logic?
is the master level at 100% at -3db or sth?

>free.
>
>hope that helps,
>
>Andy

thx for reply.