[fruityloops] Re: introduction

  • From: "Andy Ebling" <andyebling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 11:22:35 -0000

> thx for reply andy,

Hey no problem!

> as for how to organize patterns in playlist i still find it difficult to
> keep overview of the structure.

Did you rename your patterns to reflect their contents?  Right click on the
pattern name in the play list to do this.  Sorry, I don't mean to patronise
you by saying this, but quite a lot of people upload live loops with none of
the patterns named.  I don't know if this is just laziness or they genuienly
don't know that the feature is there.

Remember patterns don't have to contain any data; sometimes I rename blank
patterns to create sections in the list of patters.  For example, I might
have Pattern 1 renamed as "==drums==", then use patterns 2 to 10 to store
drum patterns, then name pattern 11 with a single space (so it looks empty
and creates a break), then name pattern 12 as "==bass==", then use patterns
13 to 20 to store bass patterns etc.

Also bear in mind that the next version of fruityloops will have markers
that you can place in the black bar number area along the top of the
playlist.  This should really help with keeping track of the time based
structure of the song.

> maybe good to use piano rolls only?

I think its a good idea only to use either the piano roll or the step
sequencer within a single pattern, but its completely up to you; whatever
you feel happy working with.

> so 16bit is the max choice with FL?

I think it depends on the windows codecs you have installed but I'm not
sure, can any one else elabourate?

> another question,
> when mixing at home or with headphones , do you rely on db meters?

Well its a good idea to make sure that there is a good level in each of the
FX channels you are using, so dB meters are good for that.  Otherwise its a
case of using your ears.  I've said this before, but I'll say it again for
the benefit of new members; I strongly recommend that you don't attempt to
mix your track whilst monitoring using headphones, even a really expensive
pair.  Sure, headphones are good for those late night sessions putting a
track together, but for the mixing session (which should be done when the
track is complete) you need to work on speakers, preferably studio monitors.
If you mix on headphones, the mix will only sound good in those headphones
and will completely fall apart elsewhere.  You are also a lot more likely to
make serrious balancing errors - over completely doing the bass for example.
Yes studio monitors are expensive, but like a good quality sound card (i.e.
not soundblasters!), they are an essential investment if you are serious
about making music on your computer

> and maybe more general, how do you apply compression, during the process
> for single sounds or at the finish?

Compression is one of the harder effects to understand and use effectively,
but it is also one of the most important.  In fact I'd go as far as to say
it was the next most important effect after EQ.

I recommend you take a look at the online tutorials about compression at
compturemusic.co.uk, google.com should throw up a couple of good links on
the subject too.

Generally speaking, you are better off compressing individual parts in
moderation and as required, but leaving the whole mix un-compressed if you
are going to get the track mastered or a bit of light, multiband compression
if you are attempting to do some mastering yourself.  Fruityloops does not
come with a multiband compressor (a serious oversight in my opinion), but
there are many available as VST plugins on the net, either as commercial or
free.

hope that helps,