[fruityloops] Re: editing samples

  • From: "Sinatra Y2k" <sinatra_y2k@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 08:22:58 -0700

> I have a problem when editing samples that are already loaded into a
> sampler.
>
> I have setup my sample editor (cool edit 96), so that I can right click
> on the wave display in the sampler window and select "cool96" to edit
> the sample.

Jeezus -  Cool Edit 96?  What year is this? ;)  Haven't sampling rates and
stuff improved enough to warrant a little upgrade on that bad-boy?  Cool
Edit 2000 only costs $69, even if you bother to pay for it (not that I
really know too much about cool edit, I like Sound Forge) .. Might help with
your current problem too - newer programs are probably written with more
file swapping stability built in, since here in the new millenium <grin>  we
have computers that can run many multiple audio apps ... Just speculating

> I can edit the sample fine, but when I come to save the sample I cannot
> as the sampler seems to have some kind of "lock" on the file.  I can
> save the sample as a different filename, or with the same name if I
> temporarily switch the sampler to play a different sample. (this is the
> workaround that I have been using but it is inefficient and annoying.)

To state the obvious - sounds like a file sharing problem.  It happens to me
when I preview a sample in something shitty like, say, Windows Media Player
and try and open it with Fruity without first closing WMP.  I know the
version of Sound Forge I'm using (4.5) allows me to "Save In Direct Mode",
which saves a copy of the sample into Sound Forge's workspace, essentially
releasing the file itself for other apps to use.  Thats how it works for me
... might check for a similar feature of some kind in Cool Edit <snicker> 96
(okay, I'll shut up now...)

Good luck!

Mike