[fruityloops] Woohoo!! Just Purchased Fruity Soundfont Player!!

  • From: "Raymond Cherry" <filthykarma@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 21:53:17 -0400

Yes, I have discovered my new love in computer music . . . soundfonts!

I discovered them one night when I had a problem getting VSTi and Midi Out
notes to slide in the Piano Roll.  I liked using the Slide Bars because they
make more sense to me than the the event editor.  It seems like if you have a
series of notes in a melodic pattern, the event editor will let you pull the
first note, but if you pull the next note, it slides off of its value because
all the notes are displayed in a linear fashion.

I didn't like that.  And I soon figured out that wav files worked best for me
in the Piano Roll.  Besides, all of the drum one-shots I recorded were from my
drum machine (Boss DR770).  It's a nice-sounding drum machine, but not on a par
with a well-recorded, live sample.  And my Midi Out was pulling sounds from a
$300 Yamaha keyboard.  Again, Yamaha has probably the best, across-the-board
quality of any make, but not as good as a live sample.  And finally, I love my
Slayer VSTi for dirty, feedback-laden rock riffs, but I couldn't get a folksy,
acoustic jam going with it.  And again, it just doesn't sound quite real to me.

I guess you folks can tell by now that I don't make much "electronica."  The
main reason I got into computer music to begin with was to create a five-piece
band that would play music I actually wanted to sing over . . .

Anyway, any soundfont advice or tricks will be appreciated.  I use Fruity to
generate loops for me to tweak in Sound Forge and arrange in Acid.  Then, I
freestyle the vocals over that mess . . .

I have already hit hammersounds and am ready to pick up some Sonic Implants in
a few minutes.  Any other thoughts or advice is sincerely appreciated.

Layyyter . . .