[fruityloops] Re: Nominal Sound Forge Rendering . . .

  • From: "Gwydion Elderwyn" <Gwydion@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 18:10:58 +1000

> At any rate, what kind of nominal settings do you folks use.
>  I am thinking 32-bit/44.1 kh to Sound Forge

Depends on what you do with it once in sound forge.  I assume from the rest
of your email you're using FL to create loops for Acid.  If you're also
running Acid at 44.1Khz then that's the rate you should export from FL.  32
bit is fine if you are going to do any more processing in SF (eg,
normalistion, effects), but if all you're going to do is trim and crop then
you might as well just export 16 bit.

> what the hell is a "hermite curve"

It's an algorithm that is used to smooth audio information to take the
digital "steppiness" out of it.

As you probably know, digital audio consists of a series of values which
represent the amplitude of the audio signal.  So for example, you might have
a series that goes 0 ... 96 ... 128 ... 32 ... 0.  If you want to create
values between each of these, you need to use "interpolation".

Linear interpolation takes every two consecutive points and draws a straight
line between them.  But we all know that audio signals are not straight
lines, they're curves. That's where Hermite interpolation comes in.  By
using four points at a time instead of two, it calculates intermediate
points by drawing a curve between all four points.  If you want to see the
mathematics of it, a good site is:
http://www.chscene.ch/hugi/hugi19/codsp.htm

Upsides & downsides: linear is faster but less accurate, and hermite is
slower but more accurate.  Frankly with CPU speeds what they are these days
I don't know why anyone bothers with linear.

> should one Acidize a loop going to SF?

Based on the fact that you are going to trim/crop in SF, then the answer is
no.  If you were going to go straight from fruity to acid, then obviously
you would need to acidize it.

HTH,
G.