[fruityloops] Re: Newbie with a question ...

  • From: - F - <zznarff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 12:07:02 -0800 (PST)

Hey Cheers Andy,
I'll sort the upgrade out. So you mix each part in itself and you can't hear
them play alltogther unless you sequence them again in n track ?
I'd like to hear from the other guys on the list as well. How do YOU mix ?
Cheers - Franz
 Andy Ebling <andyebling@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey guys - Name is Franz (or PsiLoCyBe) - I'm South African but currently
in Taipei - Taiwan ... Been messing with Fruity since I got here, which was
end 2000 ... I know a fair bit (or so I'd like to think) and I'm sure I'll
learn tons more of this list. Good to meet you bunch !

Good to have you on the list Franz.

> Question :... First I want to know about mixing in Fruity 3.55. Tell me
everything you know ! Obviously there is no mixer (I read about Fruity 4
having one), so with what do I mix ? An vst (or dx) plugin or a standalone
software mixing program ? How do YOU mix ?

First up, is there any reason why you haven't upgraded to version 3.56 which
solves a few issues and updates simsynth live, drumsynth live and the sound
font player.

As fruity does not have a proper mixer, I tend to spread all my channels
over the 16 FX channels and put a Fruity Send plugin (and maybe a Fruity dB
meter if I have space) in the last effects slot. It is a lot more
convenient to adjust volume here since adjusting the channel volume can have
unwanted side effects on volume sensitive effects such as compression.

I understand that fruityloops 4.0 (due out around the end of the year) will
have a proper mixer in the list of many enhancements.

Another option is to export the 16 FX channels as separate wav files and mix
them in another application such as n-track studio. I like working this way
as I can see the waveform display for each track which can aid in the mixing
process, also automation of parameters such as volume is a lot more visual.

hope that helps,

Andy