[fruityloops] Re: Making MIDI sound real...

  • From: "AndyEbling" <andyebling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 08:56:06 +0100

> Most music today is made using MIDI, right? And it
> sounds pretty damn good! But how can I get that same
> quality, authenticity and realness of sound when using
> MIDI on my PC with Fruityloops?
> I just don't like that cheap & tacky sound MIDI
> produces on PC's. I want my instruments so sound like
> the real deal... Is this possible?

One option is to load some good quality, large soundfonts (some of them are
>128MB), the other is to go out and buy a good quality keyboard and/or rack
synth.  I have a Korg X5D keyboard which I use as a master keyboard and also
as a sound source (for sampling or for playing single parts at once which I
record in n-track).  The X5D is an entry level MIDI synth with full size
keys.  I chose it because it is capable of producing all the standard MIDI
sounds, plus lots of pads, fx and slightly off the wall stuff.

However, today you can get equally as good results using softsynths and not
using MIDI at all.   Is there any particular reason why you really want to
use MIDI?  Sure, it has been used by professionals for decades, but even the
pros are turning in the software direction now and using products like
Halion instead of hardware samplers etc.

Many of the sounds that come with fruityloops are fairly low quality, that
is because the sample size has deliberately been kept low in order to keep
the demo download size to a minimum.  Registered users can download more
samples from http://www.samplefusion.com or order the CDROMs to get access
to all the samples.  Probably the best investment to go for if you simply
want better sounds is to get some CDs from Time and Spaces "Creative
Essentials" series (http://www.timespace.com.  I have a number of their CDs
and use them extensively in my own tracks.  Its probably the best way to
stop your tracks sounding like "just another fruityloops track".  If you
can't afford sample CDs but have a portable recording device (like Minidisc
or something), then you can often get great samples (particularly for drums)
but sampling abstract stuff like slamming doors (for bass drums) or bouncing
a golf ball of the wall (for snares); just load em up in a sample editor and
play till they sound right!

hope that helps,