[fruityloops] Re: Ideal Fruity PC configuration (specs)

  • From: Andrew Ebling <andyebling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 22 Apr 2003 08:53:24 +0100

On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 23:16, Alasdair Dunlop wrote:

> I don't know about dual processors being optimized, I run a P3 866 with
> 512Mb of SDRAM and it works fine with Fruity 3.56 and runs OK with FL
> Studio. FL Studio is a bit more processor intensive so I can't run quite
> as many VSTi's or FX but it still runs OK.=20

As you can see, its quite possible to use fruityloops/FLStudio on quite
a modest machine and there are a number of tricks you can use to reduce
the CPU usage:

i) share resource intensive FX (e.g. reverb) between channels by placing
them in Send channels.  If you put a reverb in every FX channel, even
the most expensive system will struggle.

ii) some reverb plugins are more CPU intensive than others.  Most of the
time you can get away with the less resource intensive ones, except in
some situations where it really is important to have the best sounding
reverb.

iii) use the least resource intensive softsynth you need to make a
particular sound.  If you can make the sound in 3xOSC, no point in using
Absynth!!  The skill is to know what synth is good for what sounds ;-).

iv) in FLStudio you can bounce synth parts to disc, freeing up CPU
(although obviously you start using hard disk bandwidth instead).

Basically, I'm saying you should check that you can't do what you need
to do by improving your technique rather than throwing money at the
problem and buying the fastest system out there.  If you are going to be
careless in the way you use plugins, even the fastest system out there
today will struggle.

With regard to multiprocessors, fruity is multithreaded which means if
you have XP Pro, it will run across multiple processors.  However, two
processors of a given speed won't be twice as fast as one - i.e. you
won't get a 100% speed increase by using two processors, probably more
like 30-50% if you are lucky.  Also bear in mind that most windows
software is not developed and tested on multi-cpu systems, so you are
more likely to run into undiscovered bugs (known as "race conditions")
which are particularly an issue on multi-cpu systems.