[fruityloops] Re: From loops to full songs

  • From: Andrew Ebling <andyebling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 22 Aug 2002 13:41:16 +0000

Hi Jon,

> Can you guys and girls give me a brief lowdown on how you put together full
> songs?
> You see, I love using Fruityloops to make my drumloops and melodies and
> stuff, but when it comes to sequencing the loops to compose my full song I
> find the Fruity Playlist a bit limited.  I need to be able to fade a loop
> and add effects to an instance of a loop too.  What do you recommend?
> Another application (i.e. Cubase) to compose my song?
> I need something simple to use.
> I don't play an intrument.
> I step-sequence my loops.

It all depends on the way you like to work.  I put full tracks together
using nothing but fruityloops (plus some VSTi) and this is how I work:

- I use each pattern to record the most simple sequences, usually
limited to one channel.  (So for a standard house beat, I'd have 4x bass
drum on pattern 1, 2 snares in pattern two, hihats in pattern three
etc).
- I record all automation in separate sequences, even if it is specific
to a particular pattern
- I have a separate pattern which I use to record all mix automation.
- I then layer all the patterns to build up complete songs.

I find this system provides the best possible flexibility and scope for
experimentation, as well as keeping everything neat, tidy and well
organised.  If you rename your patterns (right click on the black area
to the left of the playlist grid) it helps too.

If you work by building up entire loops and riffs and then assembling
those component parts, you loose a lot of that flexibility and you are
better off constructing these parts in Acid.  I have not used or tried
this software, but I have heard of a lot of people that work this way.

hope that helps,  if anything doesn't make sense, feel free to ask.