[fruityloops] Re: FL & controller keyboards

  • From: "AndyEbling" <andyebling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 20:32:22 +0100

> Sorry to butt in here, but don't get an Oxygen8, get one with at least
four
> octaves (I have a PC300 which is excellent).

More notes are definitely better, but I guess it depends if you have the
space and the budget!  Professional piano players will want to go for an 8
octave weight action blah-blah-blad!  ;-)  Seriously, some of the yamaha
keyboards are very nice if you are looking for that sort of thing.

> I would also recommend learning about music theory, and in particular
learn
> how to play the piano to at least a very competent standard (although this
> will take some time!).  I've taken the plunge this year and it has really
> inspired my creativeness, and is very enjoyable to boot!

Theory and piano lessons would definitely help, but I wouldn't put it as a
prerequisite to composition.  I had piano lessons as a kid, but gave up to
concentrate on another instrument.  I really regret doing that now as the
piano would have been a lot more use for sequencing/electronic music.   As
far as music theory goes, if you analyse a lot of popular music these days,
they are very, very basic in terms of chord progressions, harmony etc.

Personally, I think developing an ear is just as important as musical theory
knowledge.  Something can be "right" in the musical sense but still sound
wrong.  The secret is to learn the theory and use that to guide your ear,
but let your ear make the final decision.  The theory should help you come
up with something that sounds good to the ear, not tell the ear what sounds
good!

You can develop your musical ear by analysing tracks, phrases, basslines etc
that sound good to you.  Pick them out on a keyboard and try and figure out
what it is about them that makes them appeal.  The more I do this, the more
I find myself adding basslines and harmonies without having to sit down and
work out the chord structure etc.