[fruityloops] Re: FL & controller keyboards

  • From: "AndyEbling" <andyebling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 20:16:06 +0100

> Thanks Andy.  That clears a lot up for me.  I've been debating on =
> getting an Oxygen8 or not.  I think I'm going to get it.  I'm no =
> musician, but I would like a small keyboard to play around with & some =
> knobs to tweak out my filters and stuff.  Now that I know FL will record =
> my sessions, I'll make that investment.

It is certainly a worthwhile investment to make.  I'm no musician either,
but a controller keyboard definitely helps when it comes to trying ideas out
against each other.  I've heard people say good things about the Oxygen8
keyboard over at the computer music forums.  Personally, I use a Korg X5D
which is an entry level MIDI synth as my controller keyboard.  Sometimes I
use sounds off it while I concentrate on getting the notes right.  Then I
either sample the sound and load it into fruity, or use a generator inside
fruity and use something similar, or even completely different.  I wouldn't
say having a synth over a controller keyboard was worth the extra expense,
but I came from a pure MIDI sequencing background and back then, a proper
MIDI keyboard was the only option.  I guess I use it now because its what I
have available.  Some programmable knobs and sliders would be useful at
times though.

btw. did you know it is possible to link a computer games joystick up to
fruity and use that to control filters etc?  If you or anyone else on the
list are interested in this, let me know and I'll outline the procedure to
get it working.

> One question though, is it as =
> simple as pressing the record button & then playing on the keyboard or =
> are there other steps as well.  I remember seeing the quantitize on the =
> edit menu options.

Once it is setup, its usually just a case of pressing record and playing.
Setting it up isn't hard, but its easier to explain once you have the
Oxygen8 installed and ready to go, so its probably better that you ask again
on the list when you need to actually set it up.  I think this also got
discussed on the list fairly recently, might be worth checking the archives
as I think Gwydion explained how to set it up.

Here is the address of the archives: