[fruityloops] Re: Direct X plug-ins

  • From: "Gwydion Elderwyn" <Gwydion@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 20:45:34 +1000

> Installing a directx or vst/vsti plugin usually involves copying or
> unzipping a .dll file to a folder where your audio apps can find it.

Not quite - only VST's work that way.  DXi's have to be installed by an
appropriate program because they need registry entries made in order to be
recognised.

> is a good idea to have one central location where you keep all your
> plugins, that way they can be shared by all your audio applications.  I
> use c:\program files\steinberd\vstplugins, even though I don't have
> cubase installed, as many apps look there by default.

Yep - but what you can also do is use subdirectories under there if you want
to keep things seperate - a simple example being keeping instruments and
effects in two seperate directories.

> You will need to tell fruity to look in your directory of choice, I
> think it is labelled as "extra plugin search directory" or something
> similar under one of the options dialogs.

That's only for VSTs.  As I said, DX's are only recognised if properly
installed ;)

> Gwydion: i'm not deliberately picking holes in your posts today, honest!

And I'm not picking holes in yours out of spite, either - LOL.  Between us
we'll get all the answers right!