[fruityloops] Re: 404 Lament Crushes

  • From: "Andy Ebling" <andyebling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 21:00:55 -0000

Hi Carlo,

> I was trying to listen to the Cool Stuff, 404 Lament song wich comes with
> fruityloops and my CPU meter goes beyond 100% and start to crash!
> Does anyone know if is it a way to optimize my PC so I can listen to it?
> My PC is:
> Amd Duron 1.2 Ghz
> Santa Cruz Audio Card
> 128 DDR Ram
> HD Seagate 40Ghz 7200/Rpm
> OS win98 se

OK, here is my system, which is on a par with yours:

Athlon 1.2Ghz (200MHz FSB)
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card (using ASIO drivers on 11ms latency
256MB PC100 RAM

If I run the same song on my system, I get around 60% CPU usage.  Ok, so I
have an Athlon, but I don't think it should make _that_ much difference.  I
doubt memory is an issue: fruityloops shows up as using around 23MB on my
system when playing that track.

Does your sound card have ASIO drivers available?  If so are you using them?
If so which buffersize are you using?

Something else you might want to try inside fruityloops is:  Tools->Misc
Macros->Switch Smart Disable For All Effects

Turning this on means that all FX do not consume any CPU power when there is
no audio passing through them.  On some tracks this can dramatically reduce
the amount of CPU power used.

As far as other things to try...

i) you could try re-installing windows from scratch and only re-installing
the bare minimum of applications.  When I was running win98, I used to
re-install every three months.  I found I had to do this in order to get
consistently good performance out of my PC.

ii) try a package called 98lite, (just stick that into a search engine to
turn up the homepage) it is a shareware package that enable you to strip all
the rubbish out of 98.  There is a version coming out for W2K and XP soon I

iii) remove all unnecessary fonts and background applications (do you have
things running next to the clock in the bottom right of the screen?)  Open
the task list (three finger salute: ctrl+alt+del) and kill all the
applications except explorer and fruityloops and maybe your sound card mixer

there are quite a few tutorials and articles out there about tweaking your
computer for audio stuff.  http://www.computermusic.co.uk is a good place to

hope that helps,