[frgeek-michiana] Warehouse Report - 7/27/2008

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 21:52:04 -0400

TUESDAY - 7/22/2008

:: Snowbird

Dale and his wife plan to tour warmer states this November, but that is months away. Still, we will miss Dale and look forward to seeing him in the spring when he returns with the robins.

:: New Volunteer

A new volunteer, Amy, made her first visit Tuesday. Amy is studying computer science at the university level and enjoys hardware troubleshooting and computer programming. Amy has worked tech support in banks and was in the Army for one round of enlistment.

I encouraged Amy to work with Goose and me on virtualizing our colo box and programming web apps. She is eager to work on a production database system and learn about virtualization techniques. Amy is taking a C++ course right now. Amy is familiar with Red Hat and Slackware, having used them in the past. Vector Linux was a pleasant surprise because of the progress made since the last time she used Slackware. She has programmed with Visual Basic, Access and MS SQL.

Amy looks forward to earning a computer for herself and one for her sister. She helped Joe and Eleana deman computers and looked up CDROM drive speeds on the Internet. She also refurbed a box with a bad CDROM drive and loaded Vector Linux on it.

:: Joe and Elena

Joe is shooting for enough hours to earn 5 computers. He wants to give one to each of his grown children and their families. Elena hasn't volunteered for over a month in order to take job training. She was concerned her computer might have been given away so I showed it to her. Elena and Joe left a little early to complete errands. It is good to have them back.

:: Bad Day

Kevin called to say he was having a very bad day and would miss Tuesday to unwind. The transmission in his car began to slip in reverse, and Ford is acting like they won't offer warranty repair.

:: Air Conditioning Optional

The outside air was so cool we turned off the AC, opened the doors and turned on one fan.

:: Laptop Down

The Compaq Evo N600 laptop I took home to test with Vector Linux developed a serious problem -- the display subsystem failed. At first it had an odd pink cast. Then it went so dim I can barely discern a ghostly image. I am not sure whether the LCD or the graphic card is bad, or it is a power issue. The same thing happened to my Asus eeePC, and support forum posts hinted at a bad power regulator.

I grabbed a similar laptop and loaded VL at the warehouse. The display on the replacement is scratched badly and a little dim but otherwise sharp. This laptop has 128 MB instead of 256 MB like the previous unit, and the hard drive seems slower too. All in all, the system is slower than the first one.

I did not install MadWifi this time because I discovered VL already has it and wpa_supplicant. The wifi bash script I wrote on the last laptop worked perfectly on the new one.

Something bothers me about the two laptops I've tested. The fans never come on. Both laptops have P3 1.2 GHz processors and should require fan cooling. I thought ACPI might be defective in VL so I turned it off and turned on APM. The fan still doesn't spin up. Hmm...

:: VL 5.9 SOHO Review

http://news.oreilly.com/2008/07/vector-linux-soho-59-deluxe-no-1.html

THURSDAY

Dale and I loaded recycling for Elkhart into his van. He, Kevin and I cleaned and straightened the office for awhile, sorted and tested memory sticks. I called an HP reseller in Texas who we thought might be interested in HP server RAM. He was not. But he asked if we had old HP servers or workstations.

Forest had some bad news regarding recycling. Men of Scars only wants working monitors from now on. Forest also contacted Dlubak in Ohio. Dlubak expects payment of 9 cents per pound for bare CRTs and 10 cents per pound if the CRT has not been separated from the case and chassis.

The four of us calculated the cost of delivering CRTs to Dlubak in Upper Sandusky, OH, for recycling. Our current fee of $15 is not enough to cover our costs, and we will lose considerable money if we recycle with Dlubak. The only alternative is to take monitors to the local Solid Waste Management District; we at least break even there.

As our recycling options narrow, Free Geek may need to increase our monitor acceptance fee to $20 per unit, and we may need to charge a fee for each computer we accept and each computer we refurbish and distribute.

SATURDAY

Kevin and I recycled two gaylords of steel in the morning. Our first choice vendor was closed and so was the second. Thankfully, our third choice vendor was open. This last vendor was so busy it took us 2 1/2 hours on a hot day to recycle one pickup truck load of steel. The vendor didn't ask for photo ID or fingerprints which seems unusual. On the upside, we met interesting people standing in the pay-out line and passed the time in conversation.

####