[frgeek-michiana] Re: Warehouse Report - 2/28/2008

  • From: mdcsystems@xxxxxxxxxxx (Mike Cook)
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 18:47:28 +0000

> :: Food Bank Project
>
> Forest contacted the Food Bank director. They lost their bookkeeper and
> the director is distracted with the fallout for the time being. Forest
> will stay in touch with the Food Bank director.
>
> Regarding the kiosk system, Mike has determined that blocking all URLs
> in the browser is an easy hack.

What is in the plan now is to remove the navigation bar (not a problem, since I
added it back to the CD I made for the test).  There is still a possibility
that someone could follow off-site links and get away from the approved site. I
only found one link that would let someone navigate off-site from the QualCheck
webapp and that ended up at the in.gov site. If we later have to add additional
websites we might then have to run a proxy and do some filtering. I also noted
some links to pdf application forms so we will need pdf support in the browser.
 In addition Forest felt that printing support would be required.

> :: Compaq Laptops for Ebay
>
> Mike successfully installed Damn Small Linux (DSL) on an old Compaq
> laptop with 16MB of RAM -- that's what I'm talking about! There wasn't
> enough memory to get sound to work and the GUI was slow. But what the
> heck. Our goal was to prove the laptops work. Done.
>
> Mike took the rest of the Compaq laptops and a known good docking
> station home to complete the installs/testing. When he returns them,
> Kevin will set up an Ebay auction with photos and descriptions. The
> units will sell as a lot rather than individually.

I downloaded specification sheets for the LTE 430 (I think) and the docking
stations.  If Kevin wants I can take some digital pictures of each of the
laptops, and some screenshots and send them to him with the spec sheets.  Since
the sound chip is supported, I will also try to get sound going on them if I
have enough time.

<snip>