[frgeek-michiana] Re: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS installs

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 09:54:04 -0500

My Blackberry has a tethering plan which I think is around $30/mo. I have unlimited data.

Tom --

Phil Goldbach wrote:
The point in updating is that Ubuntu 10.04 LTS doesn't have the codecs and/or drivers for audio and printers. That aside, then yes there is no reason to update.

On the internet subject, there is another possibility: Open Range. Supposed to be internet service based on "4G". Their simple plan:

Highest Speed Internet for only $38.95/mo. Internet speeds perfect for high bandwidth uses (eg streaming video, downloading large files, video conferencing). Modem leasing fee included. Internet includes free WiFi and up to 8 email accounts. Free activation and 30 day free trial.

Just merely a suggestion, but it would seem that we've decided on not getting internet service for the time being. It was also suggested that we could use my phone and wifi tethering to provide internet, but since my phone has yet to be "rooted", I would have to subscribe to T-Mobile's wifi tethering plan, which I can barely afford paying my bill with the current required data plan, so this isn't a good idea. And I'm not quite up for leaving my phone just laying out.

Phil Goldbach

"Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades."

    From: chuq00@xxxxxxxxx
    To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 17:53:39 -0500

    I agree, I think a simplistic approach would be the best bet
    unless things change. We never ran updates on the vector boxes,
    just upgrade to the latest release was all that was done. Worrying
    about ensuring each box is fully updated makes the idea of having
    a multitude of freeboxes ready to pointless if you have to update
    each beforehand. Think about when you buy a computer there aren't
    any updates done to it at all, unless you pay for that service.
    Make it much simpler, no sneaker-netting updates in, updating the
    systems, running multiple servers for firewalls and gateways, all
    things that would provide good hands on experience for volunteers
    but is really unnecessary especially at this point in time.

    Chuq

    Chuq from my /DROID./