[frgeek-michiana] Set up two more Compaqs
- From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 08:45:53 -0500
I set up two more Compaq Prolinea 5120 boxes. Here's what I noted.
* One Prolinea had VL loaded already but couldn't find the MBR. Turned out to be a CS (cable select) problem. ALL hard drives need to be master even if VL installed ok without changing default settings. When the CDROM drive is removed, the master/slave settings change and the BIOS is effected. As soon as I found the master setting on the Western Digital drive, the box booted nicely.
* Quantum Bigfoot drives don't have regular Master/Slave settings. The settings are CS = cable select, DS = master, SP = slave. The legend is on the drive product label (top), and the jumper is on the bottom. The jumper is tiny.
* One box wouldn't let me write to the drive (ro, no permission to write) even after I changed the jumper settings. I didn't have time to check the BIOS with the Compaq Diagnostic disks. The drive was a Bigfoot. The BIOS also registered the drive as /dev/hdc.
* Another box, with an installed Sony CDROM, failed to load the kernel on two attempts. Could have been the cable select scenario or the Sony drive (not ATAPI?). Not sure. We should set aside any Prolinea with an installed CDROM.
To post to the list send email to <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at <http://www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>
Other related posts:
- » [frgeek-michiana] Set up two more Compaqs