[frgeek-michiana] Re: Server update gone bad

  • From: Tony Germano <tony_germano@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 14:28:24 -0500

I think if the device is named /dev/md0 then it is using the linux software
raid driver (md.) This seems especially likely since the drives connect
directly to the main board. I've never used any of the BIOS-based software
raids, but I'm pretty sure that it would come up with a different device name,
assuming there is even a driver for it. I know hardware raid devices are named
differently.
You could always try to clone the individual drives before you start trying
things out so you have something to go back to. If it is a linux raid, I'm
pretty sure you can even take the drives out and put them in another system
that is able to boot from usb and troubleshoot from there.
Tony

From: tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [frgeek-michiana] Re: Server update gone bad
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 14:07:06 -0500

The PATA drives are in a raid
configuration, probably a simple mirror. Richard thinks the onboard IDE
controllers have raid capability. It is also possible the raid is software, not
hardware, based. If I move the PATA drives to the IDE expansion card (no raid),
might I lose the raid and possibly data? If data is not jeopardized, that would
be a good solution to preserving the data and booting the system with a rescue
disc. However, without assurance the data is safe, I’m hesitant to disturb the
raid.

Another option is to connect the optical drive
to the slave position on one of the onboard IDE cables though I don’t know how
that might affect the raid configuration. Hopefully, not at all.

Tom --