<FW16> Re: test

  • From: "Mike Webb" <mwnews@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeware16@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 21:10:27 -0500

There is already an excellent Usenet newsgroup covering all forms of
freeware (alt.comp.freeware) and a mailing list covering all types
would be reinventing the wheel, IMHO.

That being said, I think a mailing list focusing on freeware for
pre-Win9x platforms (which may have been what you meant, Joshua) would
fill an important niche. I don't believe a mailing list or newsgroup
exists (if there is, tell me about it) as a single entity. Such a
mailing list (wanna call it "Dinoputer Freeware"?) could discuss
topics ranging along the lines of;

1) real mode DOS freeware
2) freeware for Windows 1.0-WFWG 3.11
3) 32-bit freeware that will run under Win32s (is there a list or
     webpage somewhere that documents what 32-bit software runs
     under Win32s? I'm very interested in the subject)
4) newer software which either will run under DOS or pre-9x Windows or
    has a sidekick that does (such as XXCOPY and XXCOPY16)
5) locations of web pages, ftp sites and even gopher sites which are
    still up, running and have freeware on them that runs well in the
    Dinoputer environment.
6) VERY IMPORTANT--information on older shareware or commercial
     programs that have been placed under freeware status (such as
     SLED, AccountPro for DOS, DataPerfect and others I can't think of
     right now).

and a lot of other things besides.

That's my 2c, FWIW.

> From:          "[ Kernel Mustard ]" <coutcin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date:          Sat, 14 Jul 2001 17:24:11 -0500
> I got that message in this account.  I realized that it was due to problem
> with FreeLists (my main acct was registered just a couple of weeks ago).
>
> Yeah, I think you should.  That way, anything I make can be discussed.  :)
> LoL.
> Ross
>
> >From: Joshua Brannon <jbrannon@xxxxxxx>
> >Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 12:50:51 -0600
> > >Haven't been receiving messages, just wondering if this goes through and
> > >comes back to me.
> >
> >It's been really dead around here lately. You probably haven't had any msgs
> >to get, which brings to a question: How about changing the name to just
> >'freeware' and covering all DOS/Win freeware, not just 16-bit?
> >Any feedback is welcome.
> >Joshua Brannon
> >Owner/Moderator of Freeware16

PLAINTEXT: the surest way to make sure your message
  is understood.
  JUST SAY 'NO' TO HTML MAIL AND MIME FORMATTING!