Re: [ZossPens] Parker and Waterman No Longer Life Time Warranties

  • From: "isaacson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <isaacson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: richard.jarvis@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 18:52:25 +0000

Hey, it is their right, but adds one one more reason to disrespect modern pens, or some of them anyway.

So, Parker is to be the poor second tier behind Waterman. What a waste.

david

Quoting "richard.jarvis@xxxxxxxxxx" <richard.jarvis@xxxxxxxxxx>:

Sanford Brands has announced the following changes effective January 1, 2007:
"The current 'Life Time Warranty' will be replaced by a new 'Limited Warrany,' which has a three-year gurantee for Waterman Products and a two-year gurantee for Parker products. Consumers can extend these warranties by an additional two years by registering online at www.parkerpen.com or www.waterman.com."

"The new warranty will be gradually added to products shipped ... over the course of 2007. Warranty changes in stroe will only effectively being to take place throught he end of the first quarter or later int he year. Any inventory ... currently [in stock] or [received]that state 'Life Time Warranty,' will be honored as such.

"At this time we will also be making changes regarding how our sevice centers handle repairs.

-- In order for any work to be carried out free of charge under eith the 'Life Time Warranty' or the 'Limited Warranty,' we will require the consumer's proof of purchase. This can be in the form of a duly complted and dated warranty leaflet or a dated receipt containg a product description.

-- If we do not have a proof of purchase, we will consider thatn the repair is no covered under either warranty.

-- We will no longer be offering the sale of spare parts to retailers

-- We will be revising our prices for repairs to be more in line with global competitors in the market"

Further information from Sanford indicates that they intend to make Waterman a more up-market brand to distinguish it from the Parker brand.

Basically, Sanford goes on to state, that pens that break after two or three years break because of wear or use and not because of manufacturing defects. A lot of the accompanying materials also indicate they will take a hard line on repairs and intend to start charging consumers fully for the costs of repairs on out-of-warranty pens or those that are not properly documented as to whether the owner is the original owner.

So, if you're buying a Parker or Waterman, make sure you register the pen online and, for now, perhaps ask if the pen is one that still has the the "Life Time Warranty" on it when you buy it from a dealer.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

    =======     PLEASE THANK AND SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS     ========
www.conwaystewart.com - Conway Stewart - A Truly English Writing Experience
Pens! Inks! Inkwells! More! Visit www.pendemonium.com for all your writing needs
www.PenHero.com - Your internet source for Sheaffer and Cross pens & refills
    =======
www.zoss.com/pens/helplist.html - Easy and no-cost ways to HELP the list

that you then receive MUST be replied to per instructions to complete the process.