Re: [foxboro] ftp utility on Solaris 2.5.1 AW51C

  • From: "Corey R Clingo" <clingoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:53:57 -0400

I've used this script method (though I put my user/pass in a .netrc file),
and it works well, with one exception: if the file transfer fails, the ftp
process does not return an error code, so it's not easy to check in a
script whether your file went over or not (without listing the target or
trying to retrieve the file).
To get around this, I snarfed a program called "curl" from
sunfreeware.com.  It is a comprehensive command-line file transfer utility
that returns error codes, can transfer using FTP or HTTP, etc.

Corey Clingo
BASF Corp.

"Johnson, Alex (Foxboro)" <ajohnson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
08/11/2004 10:40 AM
Please respond to foxboro

              To:  foxboro
              cc:
         Subject:       Re: [foxboro] ftp utility on Solaris 2.5.1 AW51C

To script ftp, try

#!/bin/sh
ftp <<INPUT
open 1AW51E
user root gnomes
cd /opt
..
INPUT

You could also load NFS on a Windows box - Hummingbird includes it with
the
latest eXceed I think - or SAMBA on the 51E (www.sunfreeware.com)

Invensys Systems, Inc.
10707 Haddington
Houston, TX 77043
713.722.2859 (voice)
713.722.2700 (operator)
713.932.0222 (fax)
ajohnson@xxxxxxxxxxx
For the latest information on ArchestrA, go to
http://www.invensys.com/Archestra.html.