Re: [foxboro] e-mail from AP51D to PC windows .

  • From: "Lowell, Tim:" <tlowell@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 06:05:46 -0700

Thierry,

Setting up e-mail:

1.      Figure out the IP address of your SMTP mail server (Outlook, Lotus
Notes, etc.).  You may need the IT group to help you out.  If they have
better things to do, which they often do, you can usually find the name of
the SMTP server from the header of an e-mail.  Once you get the name, you
can ping that name in Command Prompt to find the IP address.
2.      Add the name and IP address of the SMTP server to your /etc/hosts
file on the AW51D.  Follow the format that's there, i.e. IP address, tab,
server name.
3.      Edit the file /etc/mail/sendmail.cf on the AW51D.  Find the line
that says:

        # major relay host
        DR<something>
        CR<something>

        Where I have <something>, enter in the name of the mail server
exactly as you entered it in /etc/hosts.  No spaces after DR and CR!

4.      To actually send mail, use either the command "mail" or "mailx" in a
script.  For example, the script could have a line:
        mailx -s "subject" me@xxxxxxxxxxxx < /opt/scripts/yourfile.txt

        Which would mail the file /opt/scripts/yourfile.txt to the address
me@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:me@xxxxxxxxxxxx> .  I like mailx because you can add
the -s switch and include a subject.

This should set you up.  If it doesn't work, you're IT group may not have
SMTP set up on the mail server (unlikely), or you have a firewall that
blocks SMTP traffic between the AW and the mail server (more likely).  Good
luck!

Tim Lowell
Control Systems Engineer
Phillips Petroleum Company, Trainer Refinery
Phone:  610-364-8362
Fax:    610-364-8211
tlowell@xxxxxxxx