Re: [foxboro] Windoze

  • From: "Wiggins, Bryan" <Bryan.Wiggins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:04:01 -0600

We used Foxcae 5.1 to get data base information converted from Unix to =
Windows. No, real issues found. We were not experienced Foxcae users and =
were able to make it happen.

I received training in Houston between the two conversions.  I took a =
class on System Maintenance. It was a shortened class for other reason =
but I still think there could be a class directly related to Unix to =
Windows conversions. There might be one in the works I don't know.  If =
this (Windows) is the way Foxboro is going maybe there would be a market =
for this.  I would expect the conversion help need to last 5-7 years =
anyway.  I think a one week class could satisfy the needs of most =
companies concerns.=20

The area of largest headache seemed to be converting displays.  We went =
from 4.3 to 8.1 on one Unit and 4.3 to 8.3 on the second Unit. Foxboro =
provided us with tips on converting displays.  There are more than one =
or two traps.  We were coming from such a older OS that you may not =
experience the same issues.  We had Foxboro Service assist in the first =
conversion but, converted Unit 2 ourselves.  I think what I am trying to =
say is it's like everything else the 1st attempt into the unknown is =
concerning and sometimes difficult.  The second time around was so much =
easier.  Going in you don't know what you don't know.  The second time =
in you get the feeling I can figure out the unknown out much =
consequences.  We learned to wipe and start over many times.  That is =
not a bad thing you know. We now are prepared for worst case scenarios.

We had questions on proper switch setup. These were resolved via phone =
calls.
good luck=20
Bryan