Re: [foxboro] What to use now days instead of a remote WP or Humm ing Bird package

  • From: Kevin FitzGerrell <fitzgerrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 08:55:26 +1300 (NZDT)

James,

No, the NCD Explora X-Terminals are quite different than the NCD 900s (which I'm
not familiar with).

The Explora series uses NCDWare installed on the Solaris side.  NCDWare is
convenient in that the license only required one copy per site.  The Explora
terminals boot off an image on the Solaris workstation and then opens a remote X
window off a solaris workstation.

Our oldest Explora x-terminals now are Explora Pro, and the newest are Explora
450 series.  These terminals have been very reliable, although if buried under a
pile of paper on a desk they will overheat and fry (the Explora Pro model
especially was easy to set on a desk -- the 450 series come with a stand which
helps eliminate the problem).

NCD has gone out of business, but some of their employees have formed a new
company www.thinpathsystems.com which continues to sell and support NCD
products, including the NCDWare software.

Regards,

Kevin FitzGerrell
Sr. Control Systems Engineer
Carter Holt Harvey, Ltd.