Re: [foxboro] What causes System Alarms and What doesn't??

  • From: "Boulay, Russ" <Russ.Boulay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 10:15:20 -0400

This issue always spurred arguments even within Foxboro Co.
The explanation was:

A RED SYS key indicates loss of operation. Because a single module failure
in a FT pair did not cause loss of operation of the CP...they decided to
flash the current color state of the SYS key only. After much
debate...Foxboro has implemented the following option...( There are still
users that agree with the single module theory, so it is optional)

 Changes were made to the System Monitor;  If the file
/usr/fox/sysmgm/sysmon/ftblink_red.cx exists and one side of a FT station
fails, the SYS bar will flash RED;   If the ftblink_red.cx file is not
present, the SYS bar will remain it's original color and flash. (even if it
was green, and flash that color).  This change has been applied to 6.2
systems and above. and a QF990104B released for V6.1.

***Remember just because the SYS key didn't flash RED...it did flash the
existing color...and many messages do get delivered to System printer
designating "CP now single".

-- Type: application/ms-tnef