Re: [foxboro] WP51A Restore problem

  • From: Mike.Spigel@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 08:55:24 -0500

Kashif:
FYI: I'm no expert with I/A, but I know a *little* bit about Linux/Unix.

I'm not sure how to solve your DiskDupe problem since what you've done
probably should have worked, but this might help with the CDROM boot
problem:

If this isn't a "clean" hard disk, it may be trying to boot from the hard
disk first without trying the CDROM.  If you type "boot cdrom" at the OK
prompt, does it boot from the CD?  If you can already log into the
installed OS on the hard disk, you can type "reboot cdrom" at the root
command prompt and it will boot from the CD.

-Mike

"Kashif Ijaz" <kashifijaz93@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
02/07/2008 03:41 AM

Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[foxboro]  WP51A Restore problem

We had 3 dd backup tapes taken at different times of WP51A having 1.05 =
GB
tape by following command. The machine was running I/A version 4.3.

dd if=3D/dev/rsd0c of=3D/dev/rst0 bs=3D126b

Now I have found the same machine and put a 1.05 GB (similar) hard disk =
in
it. Booted up the system by 4.1 DAY 0 CDROM (as 4.3 Day 0 was not =
booting up
the machine) and restored the system by following drives

dd if=3D/dev/rst0 of=3D/dev/rsd0c bs=3D126b

It is doing so successfully as the indicated message=20

16,288 records out
16,288 records in

I have already connected the Ethernet port and Serial port A to the =
powered
up DNBI having the letterbug (61WP32, as this the logical name of the
station). Because I believe that WP51A will only boot up properly to =
Foxboro
shell if it is connected to DNBI as it cannot boot up in standalone =
mode.

But while booting it gives following messages

Hostname : 61WP32
mount : /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s6. no such device
/sbin/swapadd : expr: not found
/sbin/swapadd : /usr/sbin/swap : not found
WARNING : /usr/sbin/fsck not found .....................=20

And goes to ok prompt

Can you answer following question

1-        Why the WP51A is not booting from version 4.3 Day 0 CD (I have
tried 3 different CDs). This machine was originally having version 4.3
installed on it.
2-          It is booting from version 4.1 Day 0 CD. Is this machine
compatible only with version 4.1
3-          Do WP51A needs to be connected to it's DNBI while booting
4-          Is it not recognizing the hard disk( because of message =
"mount :
/dev/dsk/c0t3d0s6. no such device"). When in ok prompt "probe-scsi-all" =
is
showing the hard disk as Target 3 unit 0 Disk SEAGATE ST31200N
SUN1.0587220093789

I have the commit disk but since the WP51A is not booting from the 4.3 =
Day 0
CD, I cannot "ia_install" it. While booting it is giving spurious errors
like Bad trap, memory alignment, core dump. What is the reason for such
errors.

Can you see if there is some Foxboro expert within CSC experienced in =
WP51A,
version 4.3 and "dd" command.

Regards,
Kashif Ijaz