Re: [foxboro] Tape drive problem

  • From: Ron Deen <r.deen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 06:44:56 +0100

Invensys has been using the tape device "/dev/rmt/[0-2][ncb] for some time
now.
The backup utilities provided like dump and restore we currently use for
making level 0 backups use these too.
I would advise to adapt you backup tools likewise. For instance the /dev/rmt/0
tape device is always the first one on the first SCSI bus in the Invensys
world. The /dev/rmt/1 device would normally be the first tape device on the
second SCSI channel. This is standard Solaris behavior.
This is the case (as I have found) on ALL Foxboro/Invensys 50/51 series boxes
which makes maintaining a backup script a lot easier.

The other devices would usually be links the /dev/rmt/x devices.

So Mark Gardner did get it right the first time!

Regards

Ron Deen @ home
Invensys