Re: [foxboro] SunPCi cards in D&E boxes

  • From: kevin.fitzgerrell@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 10:28:33 +1200

Dwight,

SHORT ANSWER:
The current card SunPCi IIpro requires at least a Solaris 2.6 operating
system, where Foxboro I/A is on 2.5.1, so only the original SunPCi cards
will work on I/A.  The older cards that will run on I/A will not support
the Windows 2000 that you want to run, you'd have to go back to NT or
Windows 95.  I've used the older SunPC cards on B boxes with I/A and they
ran fine.  I've used briefly a SunPCi card in an E box WP running Windows
NT on the card.  It appeared to work fine, but I didn't do the setup so I
can't advise on how complicated it was to get running.

When the new workstations running I/A on Solaris 8 come out the new SunPCi
IIpro cards should work well.

More details:  (I looked into this late last year, but decided a Citrix
solution would probably be more effective)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These SunPCi series cards are big, will not fit in some Ultra series pci
slots.
Ethernet implementation in the SunPCi cards was awkward and resulted in
poor performance.  This was corrected in the SunPCi II cards.
D boxes may have problems with the Raptor GFX second video card.

Locating the older SunPCi cards used is not difficult in the US.  They
appear regularly on eBay and are available from many of the suppliers of
used Sun equipment for reasonable prices.
Some sales links (no recomendation implied):
http://store.yahoo.com/anysystem/sun-pci-card.html
http://www.anythingsun.com/x1131a6sunco.html

Securing the SunPCi software that came with the card can be more difficult.
All versions later than 1.1.2 require Solaris 2.6.  Version 1 supported
Dos, Win 3.11 and Windows 95.  Version 1.1 added support for NT.  Version
1.1.2 was available as a patch to upgrade earlier version.

SunPCi manual is at:
http://sunsolve.sun.com/data/805/805-6055/pdf/004.ChapEN.pdf
User guide is at:
http://sunsolve.sun.com/data/805/805-6058/pdf/805-6058-11.pdf
SunPCi software ver 1.1 manual is at:
http://fy.chalmers.se/help/sunpci/user_guide.pdf

SunPCi series cards:
SunPCi - 375-0075 - AMD K6-2 300 Mhz processor, min OS 2.5.1, supports
Windows 95 (NT support added in software ver 1.1).  Does not fit in D box
slot 1 or 2, or E box slot 4.  In E box, watch for clearance between PCi
card and neighboring cards, the fan may touch.

SunPCi - 375-0095 - AMD K6-2 400 Mhz processor, min OS 2.5.1, supports
Windows 95 (Must apply AMD patch) and NT.  Does not fit in D box slot 1 or
2, or E box slot 4.  In E box, watch for clearance between PCi card and
neighboring cards, the fan may touch.

SunPCi II - 375-0131 - Celeron 600 Mhz processor, min OS 2.6 -- This will
not run on current I/A systems

SunPCi IIpro - 375-3051 - Celeron 733 Mhz processor, min OS 2.6 5/98 --
This will not run on current I/A systems

Regards,

Kevin FitzGerrell
Systems Engineer
Foxboro New Zealand