Re: [foxboro] String vs. Integer

Alex,
Point of clarification, re: MSGNO (I have a potential string-reading
application I'm formulating an approach to at the moment).

So this is incremented/changed every time any SN00xx parameter is written
from in-block HLBL?  What about writes from external to the block?  The
Integrated Control Block Descriptions docs don't make this explicitly
clear, and Integrated Control Software Concepts doesn't mention MSGNO at
all in the v 6.5 copy I have.

Thanks,
Corey

From:
"Johnson, Alex P (IOM)" <Alex.Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:
"foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
03/19/2011 01:29 PM
Re: [foxboro] String vs. Integer
Sent by:
foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Joe,

There are many differences between the storage of scalar values and
non-scalar (array) values. The two most significant relate to:

1) How they are stored in the CP
2) How their values are made available to other users

Value Storage
Scalar parameters, e.g., float, Boolean, integer, long, etc., are stored
in the block.

String parameters, e.g., SN0001 and DESCRP, are stored differently. The CP
contains a string pool, a chunk of RAM dedicated to holding strings.
Strings with the same text are stored once in the string pool. In this
case, the block "hold" a pointer to that string in the string pool as
opposed to holding the string itself.

To my knowledge this is the approach that has been used in all models of
the CP.

Data Transfer
The OM's connected service (read/writes) works only on scalar data. For
this reason string variables are not "change-driven."

Access to string data requires non-connected (get/set) calls on the OM.
These calls are much slower and less efficient than change driven
connections. "Change driven" read access is simulated by FV by allowing
the user to specify a scalar variable to monitor and to force FV to get
the value when the scalar value has a change reported. Typically, the
parameter MSGNO is used to indicate that it is time to get a SNxxxx
parameter and display it.

MSGNO Message Number indicates the number of the last message assigned to
      user string parameter. It is incremented by one each time a message
is
      assigned, to show updates of SN00xx on the detailed displays. If the
      parameter value reaches 2E31-1, the next message number is 0.

IIRC, AIM*Historian supports triggered reads of STRING parameters as well.

Generally, it is much "cheaper" to monitor scalar values (using read
lists) than string values (using gets) because many more values (up to
255) can be monitored at a time.

I don't know if this addresses your question, but, if not, please provide
some details around what you are doing.

Regards,

Alex Johnson
Invensys Operations Management