Re: [foxboro] Sanity check on Go Global

  • From: Ted Jirik <Ted.Jirik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:39:09 -0800

Stan,

Remote draw applications are programs which use Foxboro's hilib display
interface calls to manipulate the display surface on a remote screen. The
Integrated Control Configurator is one example. These programs are
holdovers from the AP20/WPXX days when the application could not entirely
reside inside the WP and needed resources on the AP to run properly. They
ran on machines that did not support X so they used Foxboro's own mechanism
to create a client/server session.

They are still dependent on the Foxboro client/server model unlike most of
the newer programs which came along after the 50 series release.

The issues I have seen with these types of programs are related to resizing
the window. They do not seem to know how to redraw themselves after a
resize. So, buttons disappear. When they run on a Foxboro workstation
running Open Look, the resize handles are removed from the window frame so
they cannot be resized. When they run on a PC XServer with some other
window manager the resize handles are available and if you change the
window size at all you will have a problem.

Another issue is save unders and backing store. These must be available in
the XServer or the programs will also have problems with buttons and
dialogs not being redrawn.

When I first tried GoGlobal it did not support backing store or save unders
(I cannot remember which) as needed by the Foxboro programs. So it had
problems with ICC and the historian configurator. I don't know if it has
been corrected by now.

I hope that helps.

Ted Jirik