Re: [foxboro] Remote display manager on a moder X server?

  • From: stan <stanb@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 19:34:50 -0400

Thanks, I've actually set VNC up before, and I use the Citrix client to
access corporate Windows termianl servers.

But I think I can make this work withoutmhaving to resrt to that, and if I
can, it's one less thing to maintain on the Foxboro box end.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 03:39:38PM -0700, timmins.js@xxxxxx wrote:

> Disclaimer: <First Post Ever to this List>
> 2nd Disclaimer: <I use Linux, not FreeBSD>
>
> I might have a solution for the {broken} DM running on a modern 24 bit X
> display.
>
> My Linux laptop runs 16 or 24 bit color depth.  I had the same problem of bad
> display,
> wrong colors, no flashing, broken fonts, and general frustration at the lack
> of
> portability
> from the DM application as an X application - even when my Linux X server was
> set to
> 8 bit color depth.  I don't recall a core dump or any DM errors when the Linux
> server
> was set to 8 bit depth - just got crappy color if any at all.
>
> ***** CAUTION: THIS WAS NOT DONE ON A PRODUCTION FOXBORO SYSTEM *****
> I have set up a vnc server-client between my Foxboro system and my Linux
> laptop.
> For the low bandwidth X display requirements of the Foxboro DM, it works
> pretty
> good
> over 10 Mbit ethernet.  A serial line would require X compression protocols,
> but
> they
> could be spliced into the setup.  With the vnc client on the laptop and the
> vnc
> server on
> the <solaris> Foxboro system,  my colors are right, they flash, and the fonts
> and symbols
> are fairly aligned.
>
> For more info, go to:
> http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/start.html
> http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/doc.html
> http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/faq.html
>
> You'll need to load the solaris freeware PERL package to make things go 'out
> of the box'.
> I believe there is a client package for FreeBSD. If not, it should be a very
> simple port.
>
> Now you can run a modern X server, see your Foxboro DM displays, and if you
> have to run
> M$ apps and can get the boss to drop some $, you can run VMWare (which needs
> 16 bits
> at least) on your Linux workstation.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Jeff Timmins
>

> From: stan <stanb@xxxxxxxx> on 07/29/2002 08:17 PM GMT
>
>  stan <stanb@xxxxxxxx>           To:   foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>                                  Cc:    (bcc: Jeffrey Timmins-JS/PGI)
>                          Subject:      Re: [foxboro] Remote display manager
>    07/29/2002 01:17 PM        on a moder X server?
>      Please respond to
>  foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 07:39:44PM +0000, Warren Brown wrote:
> >
> > I am confused still.  Is the X server starting ?
> >
> > wrb
> >

> OK, I must not be making myself clear here. Lets' star from the beginning.
>
> The object of this exercise is to allow running Foxboro's display manager X
> [...]

neither liberty nor safety."
                                                -- Benjamin Franklin