Re: [foxboro] Remote display manager on a moder X server?

  • From: timmins.js@xxxxxx
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 15:39:38 -0700

Disclaimer: <First Post Ever to this List>
2nd Disclaimer: <I use Linux, not FreeBSD>

I might have a solution for the {broken} DM running on a modern 24 bit X
display.

My Linux laptop runs 16 or 24 bit color depth.  I had the same problem of bad
display,
wrong colors, no flashing, broken fonts, and general frustration at the lack of
portability
from the DM application as an X application - even when my Linux X server was
set to
8 bit color depth.  I don't recall a core dump or any DM errors when the Linux
server
was set to 8 bit depth - just got crappy color if any at all.

***** CAUTION: THIS WAS NOT DONE ON A PRODUCTION FOXBORO SYSTEM *****
I have set up a vnc server-client between my Foxboro system and my Linux laptop.
For the low bandwidth X display requirements of the Foxboro DM, it works pretty
good
over 10 Mbit ethernet.  A serial line would require X compression protocols, but
they
could be spliced into the setup.  With the vnc client on the laptop and the vnc
server on
the <solaris> Foxboro system,  my colors are right, they flash, and the fonts
and symbols
are fairly aligned.

For more info, go to:
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/start.html
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/doc.html
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/faq.html

You'll need to load the solaris freeware PERL package to make things go 'out of
the box'.
I believe there is a client package for FreeBSD. If not, it should be a very
simple port.

Now you can run a modern X server, see your Foxboro DM displays, and if you
have to run
M$ apps and can get the boss to drop some $, you can run VMWare (which needs 16
bits
at least) on your Linux workstation.

Hope this helps,
Jeff Timmins

From: stan <stanb@xxxxxxxx> on 07/29/2002 08:17 PM GMT

 stan <stanb@xxxxxxxx>           To:   foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                 Cc:    (bcc: Jeffrey Timmins-JS/PGI)
                         Subject:      Re: [foxboro] Remote display manager
   07/29/2002 01:17 PM        on a moder X server?
     Please respond to
 foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 07:39:44PM +0000, Warren Brown wrote:

> I am confused still.  Is the X server starting ?
>
> wrb

OK, I must not be making myself clear here. Lets' star from the beginning.

The object of this exercise is to allow running Foxboro's display manager X
_client_ on an existing FreeBSD (think Linux, but more stable) machine.
This machine has XFree86 (version 4.2) running using Gnome as the desktop
with the X server capable of displaying 24 bit color.

It is a documented bug that Foxboro's display manager will core dump, if
the X server replies to it's query with more that 8 bit (256 colors) color.

So, I have gotten the FreeBSD box to run 2 copies of the X server, the
original one (brown:0 listening on port 6000), and a 2nd one (brown:1
listening on port 6001). I am then able to log into a Foxboro box, set the
DISPLAY environment to wither brown:0, or brown:1 run (for instance xterm)
and have this client display on the appropriate server on brown.

We start the remote display managers by logining in as user ia, which in turn
executes that users profile, which starts up :

/usr/fox/wp/bin/jettool -Wi -f
/usr/fox/wp/bin/blink_task -sig -r -hb 5
/opt/fox/wp/bin/default_dm

after of course setting DISPLAY to the appropriate value.

I have been able to use this setup to run remote display manager on Sum &
HP workstations, which have 8 bit color.

Unfortunately, for some reason this does not work on the FreeBSD machine,
using the 8 bit color X server.

Is that clearer.
neither liberty nor safety."
                              -- Benjamin Franklin