Re: [foxboro] RealVNC question.

  • From: "Corey R Clingo" <clingoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:47:57 -0400

I too have started looking at VNC again.  The -cc 3 gets the colors right
for me.  I crank it up in an "on-demand" mode, loading the VNC server from
a script, doing vncconnect back to my desktop, and then running a DM (this
seems to be the easiest and most practical way to tunnel it through ssh
with multiple users).  Two things I've noticed however:

1. Performance on a local 100-Mbps switched network with the AW is awesome
-- like being on the AW.  Performance on a PC on the site business network,
on the other side of the firewall, is not so good.  Screen updates seem
fine, but the mouse cursor is very sluggish.  Our firewall connection to
this network is 10-Mbps, but X/Exceed doesn't have the slow mouse problem,
and I don't notice latency on ssh terminal sessions.

2. When the VNC viewer is disconnected, the VNC server does not exit unless
the DM is closed first, leaving an unused  VNC server process and DM
running.

As it stands now, it would be a perfectly good substitute for Exceed for
me.  If I get these issues resolved, it would be good for all the remote DM
users.

Corey Clingo
BASF Corp

|         |           "William C.      |
|         |           Ricker"          |
|         |           <wcricker@bellsou|
|         |           th.net>          |
|         |           foxboro-bounce@fr|
|         |           eelists.org      |
|         |           10/13/2003 08:56 |
|         |           foxboro          |

  |              To:  foxboro
                                                 |
  |              cc:
                                                 |
  |       Subject:  Re: [foxboro] RealVNC question.

The proceedure you are looking at only starts up the
basic X Windows stuff for 'vnc', but doesn't start up
any of the applications (like Display Manager or FoxView).
As such, it only gives you a 'desktop', available for
applications to use.

If you want a DM to start automaticly, you will need to add
a line in the script.  Add that line down around the end
of the script.  Depending on how you have your AW set up,
you may have a DM pick available on the desktop by clicking
with the right mouse button.

Regards,
William C. Ricker
FeedForward, Inc.