Re: [foxboro] Operator interface question

  • From: stan <stanb@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 10:41:47 -0400

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 08:43:44AM -0500, Corey R Clingo wrote:

> One characteristic of most DCS PLC gateways is that the output values are
> silently read back behind the scenes so the operator is able to see exactly
> what is in that PLC.  This causes confusion sometimes (i.e., when operator
> actions have no effect because the PLC logic obliterated their change), but
> is a reflection of the real world, and helps in situations like this.  I
> believe the Integrator 30 at least behaves in this manner.

I think I'm begning to gat a picture of how this should work.

However I still have a rather basic question. How can I read a value from
the PLC, and increment/decrement this value to write it back? If the AIN in
the gateway is in auto, I can't change the value in the DCS, right? If
instead, i make a copy, modify it, and write that back to the PLC, which
then detects the new data, and sends it back to the AIN, that I am
modifying, don't I have a timing race?

neither liberty nor safety."
                                                -- Benjamin Franklin