Re: [foxboro] Off platform communications

  • From: "Glen Bounds" <gbounds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 13:22:02 -0400

Just to add another $.02 worth.

If you ever think you will need to transmit bi-directional data between
the Foxboro system and the "other" system, OPC is not a good choice.
By bi-directional, I mean the same data point being driven from both
systems.  One direction will always be a slave to the other.  You can
choose which one is the master, but you can not make them equal.
So, sometimes you will loose updates.

But from the sounds of your application, OPC may work fine.  We use
a 3rd party system.  http://www.matrikon.com/

Glen Bounds
Sr. Control Systems Engineer
Corn Products International, Inc.