Re: [foxboro] Off platform communications

  • From: "Mark V. Urda" <mvurda@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 12:37:36 -0500

Troy-

Assuming that your IA system has at least one AW51 (4.3 or higher) or AW70
(6.1 or higher) with a second ethernet port, then I suggest that you use the
AIM * OPC Server. AIM * OPC Server software can be installed on directly on
an NT/2000 based PC or directly on Intellution SCADA node, if it is NT/2000
and has adequate resources. IA OPC Server can be accessed by Intellution OPC
client for read and write access to IA database.

>From the Intellution OPC Driver Help File, is the following description of
Intellution OPC I/O Driver:

The OPC I/O driver is an Intellution version 7.1x I/O driver that provides
the interface and communications protocol between OLE for Process Control
servers and your process control software.  Intellution version 7.1x drivers
are designed with the following attributes to provide flexibility and
ease-of-use:

OLE Automation technology.
        FIX integration.
        Event-driven architecture.
        OLE for Process Control compliance.

OLE Automation Technology

Version 7.1x drivers incorporate OLE Automation technology and can therefore
expose their features to scripting tools and other applications.  Because
the drivers are OLE Automation applications, you can:

Create and manipulate objects exposed in the I/O Server from another
application.

Create tools that access and manipulate driver objects. These tools can
include embedded macro languages or external programming tools.

The I/O driver consists of the following OLE components:

The I/O Server  The core executable program.  The I/O Server maintains the
OPC server, group, and item objects, performs all required functions for
communicating with third-party OPC servers, and exposes the methods and
properties to other applications.

The I/O Driver Power Tool  A client application to the I/O Server with a
graphical user interface.  The Power Tool accesses the I/O Server and lets
you view and modify OPC server, group, and item properties.

You can also view and modify driver properties with a custom client
application developed specifically for your system.  Refer to Creating
Custom Client Applications to learn more about creating your own client
application.

Integration with the FIX

Intellution version 7.1x drivers let you automatically add addresses to the
driver configuration while you are configuring your FIX database.  When you
add a block to the database that accesses a point in the OPC server that you
have not configured, the point is automatically added to the I/O Server and
polled for data.  Refer to Feature:  Creating Items Automatically in FIX
Database Builder.

Event-Driven Architecture

Version 7.1x drivers are event-based rather than time-based, reducing CPU
time and increasing performance.

OPC Compliance

The OPC Client driver complies with the OLE for Process Control (OPC) v1.0a
standard.  The OPC Client provides the ability to bring data from any OPC
v1.0a server to Intellution?s FIX Human-Machine Interface (HMI) software.
The OPC Client driver is also compliant with the v2.0 standard.

1997-99,  Intellution, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.

We have been using AIM* OPC Server for the last six months to develop
solutions interfacing IA to OPC aware applications like Fix, WonderWAre and
other third party HMI and other applications.

The Foxboro part number for Real Time Data Access is Q0301UT, and is
described as:

FUNCTION: The AIM*AT OPC DA Server Is An OPC V2.04 Compliant Server That
Provides OPC Client Software With Access To I/A Series Object Data And To
Real Time Point (RTP) Data In The AIM*Historian.  The DA Server Software
Provides Read And Write Access To Object Data (C:B.P) In I/A Series Via Both
The AW51 (Solaris) And AW70 (Windows NT) Platforms.  The AIM*OPC Server
Resides On A Windows NT Or A Windows 2000 Platform.

PSS can be accessed via
http://www.foxboro.com/iaseries/pss/21s6/21s6d10b4.pdf for more info.

This should provide the most cost-effective solution since no new IA
stations are required, and software runs on PC platforms.

Best regards,

Mark V. Urda

Synergy Systems Inc.
528 West 5th Avenue