Re: [foxboro] Non-FT FCP and IO in Local Control Panel

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 14:36:43 -0500

I've noticed that 200 series FBMs start to throw fieldbus errors at
temperatures (105-110 deg F module surface temp, ambient 85-95)
significantly below their published ratings. I'd be careful putting them
in an uncooled cabinet. I don't have any FCP270s, but I can't imagine
they're more robust in the face of high temperatures than the FBMs are
(more powerful, and power-hungry, CPUs).

That said, there are lots of relatively cheap and easy cooling options for
cabinets these days.

I'm like Tom, an "old-school" centralized, climate-controlled rack room
guy, but I have some potential applications where a field I/O approach has
some advantages. I'll be looking at, and probably soliciting suggestions
for, successful/proven ways to do that pretty soon.

Corey Clingo
BASF

From:   <dave.caldwell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:     <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   06/01/2012 01:11 PM
Subject:        [foxboro] Non-FT FCP and IO in Local Control Panel
Sent by:        foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello List,
I am replacing an aging AB PLC-2 used for compressor control. The PLC is
located in a purged cabinet in the field with a heater only (no cooling).

Thought was to replace the non-fault tolerant PLC-2 processor with an
FCP270 non-fault tolerant. Also, to replace the PLC IO with a baseplate of
200 series. Finally, use fiber to get back to the MESH switch.

Anyone had problems with non-fault tolerant FCP270? Anyone ran into issues
of FCP270 or 200 series IO being exposed to ambient temperature swings?

Also considered moving the CP only, or both CP and IO back to the
conditioned space, but each has advantages/disadvantages. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave