Re: [foxboro] Matrikon OPC Server for Foxboro I/A

  • From: "Russ Kaiser" <russ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 16:39:43 -0400

Dave,

Are you going to use OPC connectivity for control or data acquisition?

We use Matrikon OPC servers for data acquisition as part of our current
off-platform InSQL historian.  I am getting ready to reconfigure this system
now, but if I had it to do all over again, knowing what I know now, I would
avoid redundancy.  This has nothing to do with Matrikon per se, but it seems
keeping our redundant systems talking correctly and keeping them from double
dipping is a chore.  I know of one plant that had to settle for letting both
OPC servers of a redundant pair collect all tags because the alternative was
that neither would reliably connect.

If you are just going to use OPC to gather data, take the dollars available
and buy as many baskets as possible and then logically divide your eggs
among them.

Russ