Re: [foxboro] Life Cycle Policy and Future Path- B Box Lifespan

  • From: "Stanley D. Brown" <sdb13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 08:53:01 -0500

"Rick Mol" <rdmol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: Stan Brown <stanb@xxxxxxxxx>
01/11/05 07:40 AM
Please respond to foxboro

        To:     <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: [foxboro] Life Cycle Policy and Future Path- B Box
Lifespan

John,

I'd like to add my comments on the B box lifespan discussion.  We have
been using B series here since 1998.   We've upgraded to 6.3 since then
to use the CP60.  It is difficult to make a business case for an
upgrade, I can't tell management that they will put more pounds out the
door if we purchase new DCS equipment.

So, I've been purchasing Sparc stations on the secondary market.  The
last one purchased cost about $200 US. New SCSI drives are still
available for these also.

We plan on doing that until either the supply dries up or we need to
upgrade for production reasons.

On a related subject, the failure rates on our modules, FBMs and CPs,
has been very low.  These should continue to operate far into the
future. We have some 20+ year old PLCs that are still chugging along.

Regards,

Rick Mol
ESCO Company
IT/Automation Admin.
231.727.6409
rdmol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

service._______________________________________________________________

This electronic message contains information from MeadWestvaco
Corporation or subsidiary companies, which may be confidential,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The
information is intended to be used solely by the recipient(s)
named.  If you are not an intended recipient, be aware that
any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify MeadWestvaco
immediately at postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx