Re: [foxboro] Installing IA series V8.X on Zone 2 workstation

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 15:19:59 -0500

To add to this, after some further thought, and respond to your comment:

"It all goes back to the basic design assumption - A WP hosts FoxView and
FoxAlert instances that are closely coupled. If you need alarm
segregation, the assumption is that you'll buy separate WPs."

FoxAlert == Alarm MAnager?

I can go along with this for the horns. Horns are inherently WP-global
entities anyway.

However, you have one AM and one FV/DM that are linked. You invoke
filtering on the AM. That filtering only affects that AM instance,
correct? If so, there's no reason that the Alarms/Process button on the
linked FV/DM shouldn't be subject to the filter as well.

My comment in my last response (below) about telling the operator to
ignore the flashing bar that message events cause is not really correct.
The DM/FV linked to my "message" AM will probably not matter, as it would
be hidden/minimized most likely, but the  primary DM/FV's button will also
flash. So it will still be a problem, at the least from a confusion
standpoint.

Corey Clingo

From:   Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
To:     foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:   05/10/2012 03:05 PM
Subject:        Re: [foxboro] Installing IA series V8.X on Zone 2
workstation
Sent by:        foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'll give you a couple of reasons:

First, the original topic was thin clients. The use case for these is
being able to host more than one from a single server. Ideally, you'd have

a few servers that a given thin client could pull a display from, for
redundancy. If I don't have all the servers set up identically as alarm
destinations, then I can't really do that, as the AMs on the different
servers behave differently. This effectively makes my required number of
servers be 2 * N minimum, rather than just 2 or 3, where N is the number
of different plant areas or whatever I have that would require different
alarm destination configuration.

Second, and this is a problem we face now, I would like to have one or two

"extra" AMs for operator messages. I was planning originally to use CAD
filtering for that, but I will have the flashing-Alarms-button problem. It

doesn't make much sense in my mind to buy, house, and maintain an entire
WP for one AM screen. As it stands, I'm just going to have to tell the
operators to ignore the flashing bar on that screen.

I realize that at one time the assumption you refer to was valid. But I
think in our new world of rationalized alarms (and "new-old" world of thin

clients) we might do well to  revisit that assumption.

Corey Clingo

From:   "Johnson, Alex P (IOM)" <Alex.Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:     "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   05/10/2012 02:29 PM
workstation
Sent by:        foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

There is an assumption that the "slave" FV displays share a common plant
area and, therefore, receive the same alarm set.

As I understand what you are telling me, you have different "plant areas"
using FoxView/FoxAlert from the same WP. If that's the case, you are using

the software in a manner that contradicts our assumption.

Is this the case? If so, why not buy another WP?

Invensys Operations Management
10900 Equity Drive
Houston, TX 77041
+1 713 329 8472 (desk)