Re: [foxboro] Installing IA series V8.X on Zone 2 workstation

I'll give you a couple of reasons:

First, the original topic was thin clients. The use case for these is
being able to host more than one from a single server. Ideally, you'd have
a few servers that a given thin client could pull a display from, for
redundancy. If I don't have all the servers set up identically as alarm
destinations, then I can't really do that, as the AMs on the different
servers behave differently. This effectively makes my required number of
servers be 2 * N minimum, rather than just 2 or 3, where N is the number
of different plant areas or whatever I have that would require different
alarm destination configuration.

Second, and this is a problem we face now, I would like to have one or two
"extra" AMs for operator messages. I was planning originally to use CAD
filtering for that, but I will have the flashing-Alarms-button problem. It
doesn't make much sense in my mind to buy, house, and maintain an entire
WP for one AM screen. As it stands, I'm just going to have to tell the
operators to ignore the flashing bar on that screen.

I realize that at one time the assumption you refer to was valid. But I
think in our new world of rationalized alarms (and "new-old" world of thin
clients) we might do well to  revisit that assumption.

Corey Clingo

From:   "Johnson, Alex P (IOM)" <Alex.Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:     "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   05/10/2012 02:29 PM
Subject:        Re: [foxboro] Installing IA series V8.X on Zone 2
workstation
Sent by:        foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

There is an assumption that the "slave" FV displays share a common plant
area and, therefore, receive the same alarm set.

As I understand what you are telling me, you have different "plant areas"
using FoxView/FoxAlert from the same WP. If that's the case, you are using
the software in a manner that contradicts our assumption.

Is this the case? If so, why not buy another WP?

Regards,

Alex Johnson
Invensys Operations Management
10900 Equity Drive
Houston, TX 77041
+1 713 329 8472 (desk)
+1 713 329 1600 (operator)
+1 713 329 1700 (Central Fax)
alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx

From:   "Johnson, Alex P (IOM)" <Alex.Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:     "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   05/10/2012 12:03 PM
workstation
Sent by:        foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Corey,

Re: is the alarming going to be changed so that alarms can be directed to
a particular display/AM instance rather than all instances on one station

I'm not aware of any such plans. I'm curious though do the CAD filtering
options not meet this need for you? They do for others which is why they
exist.

Regards,

Alex Johnson
Invensys Operations Management
10900 Equity Drive
Houston, TX 77041
+1 713 329 8472 (desk)
+1 713 329 1600 (operator)
+1 713 329 1700 (Central Fax)
alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx

*** Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including any associated or
attached files, is intended solely for the individual or entity to which
it is addressed. This e-mail is confidential and may well also be legally
privileged. If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its
status. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then
any purposes, or disclose its contents to any other person. This email
comes from a division of the Invensys Group, owned by Invensys plc, which
is a company registered in England and Wales with its registered office at
3rd Floor, 40 Grosvenor Place, London, SW1X 7AW (Registered number
166023). For a list of European legal entities within the Invensys Group,
please go to http://www.invensys.com/en/legal/default.aspx.

You may contact Invensys plc on +44 (0)20 3155 1200 or e-mail
reception@xxxxxxxxxxxxx This e-mail and any attachments thereto may be
subject to the terms of any agreements between Invensys (and/or its
subsidiaries and affiliates) and the recipient (and/or its subsidiaries
and affiliates).