Re: [foxboro] IA-Connect OPC DA Server and A&E Server

  • From: "foxpat" <foxpat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 18:52:28 +0100

Dave,

We have been using IA-Connect at our site for over 3 years.
We had one initial problem with it which was promptly resolved.
(It would crash the CSA server in case you had more then 35575 blocks. I
believe however, that this was an I/A bug and not an IA-Connect bug).

The reason for using IA-Connect was that we needed SSC support which can be
done with AIM* but is (or was at the time) quite a complex setup.
IA-Connect is very straight forward.
The amount of tags in our case is very limited (some 100 reads, some 30
writes, including SSC parameters like SUP_IN etc). We do intend to use it as
a replacement for Aspen CIMIO/IP21 interfaces in the near future (some 5000
reads).

It's hard for me to indicate advantages as I have no practical comparison.

* It directly accesses the Object Manager
* no AIM* required
* directly supports SSC (which works great)
* easy install.
* No complex, hardware ID related, licensing
* very robust
* configurable access on a per block-type/parameter in combination with CP
basis.
* clear instruction manual
* a bit more expensive.

Kind regards,