Re: [foxboro] IA System printing to Network printers

  • From: "Jim Kahlden" <James.Kahlden@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:49:45 -0600

Thanks Corey..

Jim

>>> clingoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 1/26/2004 9:20:57 AM >>>

I'm going to go ahead and post this to the list, since I got so many
Stuff That [Sun|Foxboro] Forgot" :)

Note that we use dedicated print server boxes or NICs in the printers to
attach them to the network, and all the stations in our system have 2nd
ethernet ports, so we don't need the lines I have commented out below to
set the AW up as a "gateway" print server.  If these two conditions are
not
true at your site, you will need to uncomment those lines.  Also, we use
the LPR protocol for remote printers ("type BSD" in Sun parlance).
Someone
mentioned using Jetadmin (TCP port 9100), which may work, but I haven't
tried it.  Also, we don't do alarm logging to printers, so that
functionality is untested.

Hope it works for you,

Corey Clingo
BASF Corp

=======================

# padmin.ia - replacement for I/A printer setup script.
# Link or copy this to /usr/tmp
#
# The next section must be run if you have a local or network printer
# attached to an AP/AW/WP, and the other stations can only get to that
# printer over the nodebus.  It sets up this AP/AW/WP as a print server
# to the other stations
#
#sacadm -r -p tcp
#sacadm -a -p tcp -t listen -c "/usr/lib/saf/listen tcp" -v `nlsadmin -V`
#  Probably don't need the next line, as I/A uses BSD-style printing
#pmadm -a -p tcp -s lp -i root -v `nlsadmin -V` -m `nlsadmin -o
/var/spool/lp/fifos/listenS5`
#pmadm -a -p tcp -s lpd -i root -v `nlsadmin -V` -m `nlsadmin -o
/var/spool/lp/fifos/listenBSD -A '\x00020203000000000000000000000000'`
#pmadm -a -p tcp -s 0 -i root -v `nlsadmin -V` -m `nlsadmin -c
/usr/lib/saf/nlps_server -A '\x00020ACE000000000000000000000000'`

# Repeat this line for every other WP/AP/AW needing to send print jobs
# to this WP/AP/AW.  Note that if you set up a local printer on this
# WP/AP/AW in SysDef, the padmin.ia on the others will work properly,
# even if you modify this WP/AW/AP's padmin.ia with this one (say, to
# print to a network printer).
#
# This is not necessary on our system as all WPs can "see" the print
servers and
# don't need to use the AW as gateway.
#
#lpsystem -t bsd AW0001
# Or, if all the other stations need to print here,...
# me=`/bin/hostname`
# stations=`cat /etc/wparlns | grep -v $me`
# for station in `echo $stations`; do
#    lpsystem -t bsd $station
# done

# Add filters.  The djet_graphics filter was added by SysDef for a
# local postscript printer, but it doesn't appear to be needed.  I think
that
# the xpr command is invoked with the requisite options if the printer
# name field in /etc/printers begins with "PS"
#
#lpfilter -f djet_graphics -F /etc/lp/fd/djet_graphics.fd
# I use the filter below for Postscript printers
lpfilter -f all -x
lpfilter -f text2ps -F /opt/local/etc/text2ps.fd

# Define printers
# LP16:
LP=LP16
PRTYPE=PS
# IFC=ps_interface
RS=ps1
RP=pr1
cancel ${LP}
lpadmin -x ${LP}
lpsystem -r ${RS}
lpsystem -T 1 -t bsd ${RS}
lpadmin -p ${LP} -T ${PRTYPE} -I postscript -s ${RS}\!${RP}
lpadmin -d ${LP}

# Remote printers can't have interfaces.  Uncomment these if printer is
local
#cd /etc/lp/interfaces
#rm ${LP}
#ln -s ${IFC} ${LP}
# ******* End of interface stuff
disable ${LP}
accept ${LP}
enable ${LP}

# Note: the printer name does not have to be "LPxx", as long as you edit
your /etc/printers accordingly,
# and it's 6 characters or fewer.
# CRLJ
LP=CRLJ
PRTYPE=PS
# IFC=standard
RS=ps2
RP=raw
cancel ${LP}
lpadmin -x ${LP}
lpsystem -r ${RS}
lpsystem -T 1 -t bsd ${RS}
lpadmin -p ${LP} -T ${PRTYPE} -I postscript -s ${RS}\!${RP}
# Remote printers can't have interfaces.  Uncomment these if printer is
local
#cd /etc/lp/interfaces
#rm ${LP}
#ln -s ${IFC} ${LP}
# ******* End of interface stuff
disable ${LP}
accept ${LP}
enable ${LP}

# Restart print service - it often dies after we do all this stuff
/usr/lib/lpsched