Re: [foxboro] GDEV functionality

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 15:36:56 -0400

I used the GDEV after coming from Brand H, looking for something
equivalent to the "digital composite" block on that system.  The GDEV is
not quite equivalent (I *really* miss 3-state capability), but it looked
pretty good for this sort of thing.

I later looked at some of the other blocks (VLV, MTR, MOVLV, et al).  Some
of these had more intuitive faceplates than the GDEV, but they generally
left me wanting in some way or another.  And the parameters are often
different, so I have to remember more to use them all.  Because of that
last point, and training/consistency issues, I've pretty much standardized
on "best"/most functional blocks in a class (PIDA, GDEV, REALM...) even if
all the applications of these do not require all of the block's
functionality.  Fortunately even my CP30s can handle it so far :)

One thing I'd like to see is state labels on COUTs so I could use them in
operator-facing, output-only applications.

Corey Clingo
BASF Corporation, Freeport, TX

Jerry Hidahl <Jerry_Hidahl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
09/27/2006 02:18 PM
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [foxboro] GDEV functionality - was Foxboro's programming

We've use the GDEV extensively since '97. It is so powerful, that you must
be careful how you use it (, Grasshopper). There are so many options in
the
configuration, that it's easy to overlook something or get it wrong. It's
so general that the faceplate is not at all self evident. With all that
said, it certainly is the best way to put together discrete I/O into
useful
controls.

Jerry Hidahl
Huntsman, Port Neches, TX